Previously, I mentioned Liz in my blog post, and said there was another story I would share. Here it is!
I’ve been friends with Liz for about 16 years now. Here’s a bit about our friendship:
- We worked together for years… she was my boss.
- We had nights out together.
- I sang at her wedding, and my dress was too low cut.
- She was pregnant and puffy at my wedding, but made it through to the end.
- Our boys were born within a year of each other and are lovely little friends.
- We go on holiday together, with our husbands and children.
- We’ve been to spas, out for meals, we know each other’s parents.
- Best of all… we laugh. Laugh at things that no one else really finds funny.
And when you know people like this, you get to know THEIR special people, even without ever meeting some of those special people.
So over the years, I have come to know a lot about Liz’s Uncle John. I don’t just mean where he lives, what children he has, what he does for a living (although I do know all that stuff)…
It’s more than that: As she talks about her Uncle John, I start to learn about his character… and I hear things like “oh my Uncle John always says…….”. I start to understand Uncle John’s values; Uncle John’s feelings about certain subjects; Uncle John’s humour.
So there’s no surprise that… when I meet Uncle John on holiday with Liz and her family in Portugal in 2014, that I instantly feel like I know him. I trust him. I like him a lot. And what a fab holiday with Uncle John (and Auntie Mazza) is was!
- He is now our Uncle John too.
- We have our own “In” jokes with him.
- My boys think he actually IS their Uncle John.
- We keep in touch on Facebook.
- He even did some decorating for us.
He is now Uncle Johnny Ocado and sent me puffy salt for Christmas (it’s an ‘in’ joke)
So the thing is… in life…
We KNOW, LIKE & TRUST those people that we have got to know over time….. even if we have never met them.
AND IT’S THE SAME WHEN IT COMES TO BUSINESS…
We KNOW, LIKE & TRUST those businesses that we have got to know over time… even though we’ve never brought from them.
So the moral of the story is this.
KEEP ON KEEPING ON WITH YOUR MARKETING.
- Repetition builds Reputation.
- Reputation is your Brand.
- Your Brand is EVERYTHING in the eyes of your customers.
p.s. We’ve made “Business Story Script” a regular workshop. If you haven’t been along to it yet Just click here to find out more and email [email protected] if you would like to book a place.